On Friday, the the Good Envelope from Oregon finally arrived, along with e-mail from the fiction writing director including all of the financial details and the addresses of two current students I could (and have) contacted. They’ve confirmed everything I already knew from a week of mulling this over — I really want to go to Oregon. Even getting stellar packages from the three outstanding schools (I’m counting Arkansas as outstanding, now, since I’ve heard essentially nothing from them since the first letter) would probably still leave me wanting to go to Oregon. Which probably means I should go.
I have: asked some faculty here about Oregon and received a very positive response; asked just about everyone I know about the town, and those who know anything of it have given a quick you’ll like it there response; figured out that the money they offer is a standard and equal offer among everyone, so there’s no advantage to be had by waiting or delaying to play them off other schools; gotten an e-mail back from one student who gave a predictably glowing but in parts fairly honest, I think, review of the program that told me exactly what I knew already: the money offered is probably enough to live on, but my current rock’n’roll, multiple-movies-per-week, eating-out-all-the-time, Tivo-and-Netflix lifestyle is certainly going to end. Ah well, I knew it had to.
So, what am I not thinking of? What should be keeping me from signing the papers that are sitting on my dining room table downstairs? If anyone’s got good reasons for me to wait on the other letters — whether they be thick or thin — to come through, please, please let me know, because I’m feeling very much like I want to sign and have everything settled. Which, by the way, I know is not a good enough reason to sign on with a school.
Also, I have finally updated my books page and my movies page over at Kepkanation.com. I’m almost even on the # of books I’ve read and the number of in-theater movies I’ve seen for the year, and almost on pace for the 100 mark in movies.