I saw this on ‘s LJ, I think, a while back, and now I’m going to get on board myself. Eventually, I’ll get my act more together and post links to some or all of these songs over at ; if there’s something on here you want, I’m a happy sharer.
Frankenmix from (post)
1. A Holiday Song — Ryan Adams, “Hey Parker.”
2. A spring song — Badly Drawn Boy, “Something to Talk About.” Because this song makes me want to twirl around in the rain.
3. A sleeping song — Ben Folds Five, “Narcolepsy.” Best played and understood at or after 2 a.m.
4. A sugared song — Sufjan Stevens, “No Man’s Land.” This sounds like the song that cotton candy would write, if cotton candy could write music. Recently featured in Little Miss Sunshine.
5. A fierce song — The Faders, “No Sleep Tonight.”
6. A mysterious song — Elliot Smith, “Because.” From the American Beauty soundtrack.
7. A yearning song — Michael Stipe, featuring Chris Martin, “In the Sun.”
8. A satisfied song — Paul McCartney with U2, live, “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band.” There’s something so joyous and satisfied in Paul McCartney’s voice here. From Live8 in London.
9. A mourning song — P.J. Harvey, “Memphis,” about Jeff Buckley.
10. A kind song — John Cougar Mellencamp, “Pink Houses.”
11. A pure song — Natalie Merchant, “Life is Sweet.” Alternate: the theme from Rudy. No, seriously.
12. A bitter song — Nikka Costa, “Hope it Felt Good.” What a struggle it was not to put a Fiona Apple song here (or in the fierce song slot).